Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri February 15, 2013
Datebook: February 15 - Columbus Writes from the New World 520 Years Ago
On this day in 1493, Christopher Columbus wrote a letter to the Spanish court describing "India beyond the Ganges" (he was in Hispaniola and Cuba). In the letter, he lands "with flags flying and no one objecting," exaggerates the size and wealth of the islands, and describes the native Arawaks as fierce man-eating monsters.
It’s Friday, February 15
The National Archery in the Schools Program Region 1 Archery Tournament is tomorrow morning at 9 at Graves County High School. Approximately 300 archers compete. Tickets are $3 for adults and $2 for students. Children ages 5 and under are admitted free of charge.
Angels Attic Thrift Shop needs donations of clothing, furniture, appliances, household items, and toys. Proceeds support the Angels Community Clinic, which helps Calloway County residents without medical insurance. Bring items to 972 Chestnut Street Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5, or call (270) 762-0505 for pickup.
Murray State University’s Pullen Farm Greenhouse is selling house plants through February 22. The greenhouse is open weekdays during university hours and is located at 300 Hickory Street, off 94 West. Plants are available for a donation to the Horticulture Club.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.