Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri December 21, 2012
Datebook: December 21 - We're Still Here!
The day isn't over yet, but thankfully the Mayan calendar didn't signal the end times. Today is a turning-point, though, in the 5125-year-long cycle in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar. Some thought there'd be a great flood, others thought there'd be a balancing of the cosmos... I'm just glad I get to use my 2013 NPR Calendar.
It’s Friday, December 21
The Red Cross offers a Babysitters Training Program on Saturday, December 29, at 232 North 8th Street in Paducah. Students learn to perform basic childcare skills, choose safe games and toys, handle discipline issues, and care for common injuries. The cost is $85. Register online at www.redcross.org.
Application materials are available for the Paducah Symphony Orchestra’s 2013 Young Artist Concerto Competition. High school pianists and orchestral instrumentalists compete for a $1,000 cash prize, a guest solo appearance with the Paducah Symphony, and a music scholarship to Murray State University. Details and applications at paducahsymphony.org.
Tomorrow is the last day of the Hopkinsville Art Guild Christmas Bazaar at the Guild Art Gallery, located in Bradford Square Mall. Work for sale includes small original paintings, Christmas ornaments, pottery, and wood turnings. Hours are 10 to 6 today and tomorrow.
See community event details at wkms.org.