Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Fri August 9, 2013
Datebook: August 9 - First Mass in Sistine Chapel 520 Years Ago
The first mass in the Sistine Chapel was celebrated on this day in 1493, for the Feast of the Assumption. It was formally consecrated a few days later, upon the completion of Michelangelo's paintings. At the first mass, the chapel's namesake Pope Sixtus IV, dedicated the building to the Virgin Mary.
It’s Friday, August 9
Bikes on Broadway is set for Sunday afternoon from 1 to 4 on Broadway between 4th and 17th streets in Paducah. Bring bicycles, skates, skateboards, scooters, tricycles, strollers, running shoes, or walking shoes for a day of strolling and riding along Broadway. For more information, visit paducahky.gov or call 270-444-8508.
Nashville singer/songwriter Rob Crosby gives a benefit concert tomorrow night for Graves County Court Appointed Special Advocates. Local musicians open the concert at 6 and Crosby performs at 7 on the grounds of Trinity United Methodist Church in Hickory. Find details at gravescountychildadvocacy.org.
Maiden Alley Cinema presents the film “Win Win” Monday night at 6:30 as part of its Faith in Film series. A disheartened attorney who moonlights as a high school wrestling coach stumbles across a star athlete through some questionable business dealings, but his plans for a double payday go awry when the boy’s mother shows up. Showtimes at maidenalleycinema.com.