Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Thu August 9, 2012
Datebook: August 9 - Betty Boop Debuts 82 Years Ago
One of the most popular cartoon characters in the world, Betty Boop made her debut in Dizzy Dishes on this day in 1932, created by Max Fleischer. She was the first sex symbol on the animated screen, styled after Clara Bow and Helen Kane. Boop-oop-a-doop!
It’s Thursday, August 9
The Paducah Parks Services Neighborhood After School Program starts Monday at the Paducah Recreation Center. The free program lasts from 3:15 to 6PM Monday through Friday and is available to children enrolled in kindergarten through grade 5. To register, call 444-8508.
The Paducah 48 Hour Film Project starts tomorrow night at 6 at Maiden Alley Cinema. Teams of filmmakers attempt to write, shoot, edit, and score a film before the Sunday night deadline. All completed films will be screened at Maiden Alley next Wednesday and Thursday. Links to registration and more information are at maidenalleycinema.com.
New Pathways For Children teachers need donated books for the New Pathways classroom library. New Pathways is a non-profit, adolescent residential treatment facility for adolescents between the ages of 10 and 18. To learn more or to donate, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See the text of today’s datebook at wkms.org.