Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- MSU Transfer Credit Could Be Available for Mid-Continent Students; AG Conway Pledges Support
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Ky. Road Plan Includes $368M for Jackson Purchase
Thu August 8, 2013
Datebook: August 8 - The Great Train Robbery 50 Years Ago
One of the biggest train robberies occurred on this day. British banks lost £2.6 million (£46 million today) from a heist of 15 robbers led by Bruce Reynolds. To pull it off, they had a man on the inside and tampered with line signals. Most of them were eventually caught, but most of the money had been laundered.
It’s Thursday, August 8
The 42nd Annual Between the Rivers Homecoming is scheduled for Sunday at the Fenton Campground Pavilion. Former residents of the Trigg County portion of LBL, their relatives, and their friends are invited to attend. Bring food, beverages, lawn chairs, and any other picnic or recreation items. Restrooms, picnic tables, grills, and drinking water are provided. For more information, call 270-522-3956.
The Gospel Music Fest in downtown Mayfield continues Saturday night with Better Way performing in front of the courthouse at 7PM. The concert is free and open to the public. Bring blankets or chairs for seating. In the event of rain, the concert will be canceled.
Maiden Alley Cinema presents “Fruitvale Station” tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday. The film tells the story of Oscar Grant, who was fatally shot in Oakland, California, on New Year’s Day 2009. For show times and more information, visit maidenalleycinema.org.