Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Mon August 5, 2013
Datebook: August 5 - Humphrey Gilbert Establishes 1st English Colony in North America 430 Years Ago
Despite blockade attempts by local fishermen, Sir Humphrey Gilbert rolled into the port of St. John's and claimed Newfoundland for Queen Elizabeth, establishing the British Empire in the New World. He didn't make any attempt to settle it, though, and the queen didn't particularly want the land.
It's Monday, August 5
A free Living Well Workshop is offered tomorrow night from 5 to 7:30 at the Center for Health and Wellness in Murray. The workshop helps individuals suffering from chronic disease learn how to deal with problems and symptoms and provides exercise tips, medication information, communication strategies, and new treatment options. For more information, call (270) 762-1348.
The Purchase Area Master Gardeners Association presents a class titled "Living in Harmony with Nature" tomorrow night at 5 at the McCracken County Extension Service. The free class is part of the Tool Box Series. The public is invited to attend. For more information, call (270) 554-9520.
An AARP Safe Driving Class is scheduled for Wednesday from 8 to 12:30 at the Center for Health and Wellness. Participants must be age 50 or older. The course is classroom information only. The cost is $14, or $12 for AARP members. Pre-registration is required by calling (270) 762-1348.