Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
Mon August 5, 2013
Datebook: August 5 - Humphrey Gilbert Establishes 1st English Colony in North America 430 Years Ago
Despite blockade attempts by local fishermen, Sir Humphrey Gilbert rolled into the port of St. John's and claimed Newfoundland for Queen Elizabeth, establishing the British Empire in the New World. He didn't make any attempt to settle it, though, and the queen didn't particularly want the land.
It's Monday, August 5
A free Living Well Workshop is offered tomorrow night from 5 to 7:30 at the Center for Health and Wellness in Murray. The workshop helps individuals suffering from chronic disease learn how to deal with problems and symptoms and provides exercise tips, medication information, communication strategies, and new treatment options. For more information, call (270) 762-1348.
The Purchase Area Master Gardeners Association presents a class titled "Living in Harmony with Nature" tomorrow night at 5 at the McCracken County Extension Service. The free class is part of the Tool Box Series. The public is invited to attend. For more information, call (270) 554-9520.
An AARP Safe Driving Class is scheduled for Wednesday from 8 to 12:30 at the Center for Health and Wellness. Participants must be age 50 or older. The course is classroom information only. The cost is $14, or $12 for AARP members. Pre-registration is required by calling (270) 762-1348.