Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Tue August 28, 2012
Datebook: August 28 - Tolstoy's Birthday
Leo Tolstoy turns 184 today! He was a Russian writer most famous for War and Peace and Anna Karenina - considered two of the greatest novels of all time. His writing is complicated and paradoxical, inciting moral and social reform in a time of spiritual awakening in Russia. Speed-reader Howard Berg can read War and Peace in 15 minutes. I can read it in 14.
It’s Tuesday, August 28
Saturday is the deadline to register for the Retreat and Refresh Stroke Camp, open to stroke survivors, caregivers, and family members. The camp offers educational sessions, and activities tailored to the challenges stroke survivors face. The camp runs September 21 through the 23 at Lake Barkley State Resort Park. Find more information at strokecamp.org.
Friday is fine amnesty day at the McCracken County Public Library. All overdue books, DVDs, CDs, and other materials may be returned free of charge. On Saturday, fines will be reduced to 10 cents a day, but earlier fines will not be affected.
Friday is the deadline to register for Operation JumpStart, a training program to help aspiring and existing entrepreneurs build essential business planning skills. The six-week series begins September 4 and meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 to 10 at the Madisonville-Hopkins County Economic Development Corporation. Register by calling (270) 809-2856.
Find community event details at wkms.org.