Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Mon August 27, 2012
Datebook: August 27 - Mariner 2 Goes to Venus 50 Years Ago
Though our curiosity has recently turned to Mars, NASA launched a probe to Venus on this day in 1962. Mariner 2 was the first space probe to conduct a successful planetary encounter. Though no cameras were on board (too cloudy), it collected important details on Venus' atmosphere. Mariner 2 now floats in space, defunct, pondering the meaning of its brief existence.
It’s Monday, August 27
Paducah’s Market House Theatre holds auditions for the Roald Dahl musical Willy Wonka Jr. Actors between the ages of 8 and 18 may audition tonight and tomorrow night beginning at 5 in the Studio Theatre classroom, located at 120 Market House Square. For more information, call (270) 444-6828.
Donations are being accepted for the 7th annual Community-Wide Yard Sale to benefit the Mayfield-Graves County Needline and Food Pantry. The sale is September 15, and donations will be accepted through September 14. Drop off items at First Christian Church in Mayfield Monday through Friday between 9:30 and 3:30.
The Paducah Boys Choir, directed by Tony Whitfield, is currently hearing auditions from boys in grades four through twelve with changed and unchanged voices. Auditions will be held at Van Fleet Music Studios, located at 870 Old Mayfield Road in Paducah. Arrange an audition time by calling (270) 362-0436.
See a community event calendar at wkms.org.