Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon August 26, 2013
Datebook: August 26 - Cook Sets Sail to Seek Southern Lands 245 Years Ago
Captain Cook set sail on this day in 1768, on the HMS Endeavour. His goal was to seek evidence of the Terra Australis Incognita, or "unknown southern land." He crossed the Atlantic, rounded Cape Horn, and reached Tahiti, observing the transit of Venus. He then charted New Zealand and discovered Australia.
It's Monday, August 26
A free 13-week Cooper-Clayton smoking cessation program starts tomorrow at Baptist Health Paducah. Classes are from 5:30 to 6:30 every Tuesday evening at Baptist Health Paducah in Doctors Office Building 2. For more information or to register, phone the Kentucky Cancer Program at (270) 442-1310.
Starting Thursday, replicas of Columbus's ships are docked at the Green Turtle Bay Resort in Grand Rivers. Visit the ships between 9 and 6 daily for a walk-aboard self-guided tour. Prices are $8 for adults, $7 for senior citizens, and $6 for students 5-16; children 4 and under are admitted free.
A fiber art exhibit titled "Weaving Over the Line" is on display through Saturday at the Janice Mason Art Museum in Cadiz. The exhibit includes dresses, purses, tapestries, and other fiber pieces. The museum is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10AM to 4PM and on Sundays from 1-4PM. Admission is free.
See more community events at wkms.org.