Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
Thu August 22, 2013
Datebook: August 22 - First American Civilian Reaches Space 50 Years Ago
Joseph A. Walker became the first American civilian to go into space on this day in 1963, as he was the test pilot for the X-15. Later, he'd become the first human to make multiple space flights. On his first flight, crushed into his seat, he screamed "Oh, my God!" to which the flight controller jokingly replied, "Yes? You called?"
It’s Thursday, August 22
The Murray Chapter of Kids Against Hunger has scheduled a food packaging session for Saturday. Volunteers of all ages are needed for either the 9 to 11 a.m. shift or the 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. shift. To sign up, call Keller Williams Realty at (270) 753-1492.
The Paducah Symphony Youth Orchestra holds auditions for the string section Sunday afternoon from 2 to 5 at McCracken County High School. Arrive at 1 o'clock to warm up and receive an audition number. All information, including audition music and a registration form, is available at paducahsymphony.org.
The WATCH Center at 702 Main Street in Murray needs aluminum cans for an ongoing fundraising project. Drop off cans anytime, seven days a week, by driving through the driveway on the west side of the center and placing them in the cotton wagon.
Add your community events to the calendar at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.