Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Mon August 20, 2012
Datebook: August 20 - Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture Debuts 130 Years Ago
The 1812 Overture composed by Tchaikovsky rocked the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow on this day in 1882. It's best known for the climactic volley of cannon fire, ringing chimes, and brass fanfare finale. It's also a great song to set your alarm clock to play.
It’s Monday, August 20
Footlights, Market House Theatre’s youth acting troupe, starts a new trimester of classes on Saturday. Kids in grades 1 through 12 meet weekly to receive instruction in acting, theater games, and improvisation, and also produce an annual play. The fee is $50 per trimester. Register by calling (270) 444-6828.
The Alzheimer’s Association provides a program tomorrow morning at 10 on living with Alzheimer’s disease. The program offers information to caregivers with loved ones in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. The class meets at the Pennyrile Area Development District Office in Hopkinsville.
Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site hosts a ceremony Thursday to acknowledge the reburial of excavated remains and restoration of the burial mound. The 10AM program includes officials from the Chickasaw Nation and the Tourism, Arts, and Heritage Cabinet. The ceremony and museum admission are free of charge.
See details about community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.