Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Fri August 2, 2013
Datebook: August 2 - San Francisco's Cable Cars Debut 140 Years Ago
If you visit San Francisco, be sure to take a ride on the historic cable car. The Clay Street Hill Railroad was the first, and was allegedly built so horses wouldn't need to climb up and down steep Jackson Street. They were a major financial success in their day, growing to 23 lines. Today, only three of the lines remain.
It’s Friday, August 2
Live on Broadway is tomorrow night from 6 to 9 in downtown Paducah. The musical lineup includes Classic Waxx, Nathan Lynn and Josh Coffey, Lydia Walker, Oh Yeah Dakota, and Ed & Elaine Jones. The Paducah Quickstep Cloggers will perform, and kids’ activities are offered throughout the evening. For more information, visit paducahalliance.org.
The Hopkins County-Madisonville Public Library holds a book sale tomorrow from 10 to 5. Books are $5 per bag. The library’s located at 455 Madison Square Drive in Madisonville. For more information, visit publiclibrary.org or call (270) 825-2680.
The Henry County Fair kicks off tomorrow with a barbecue cook-off in the gravel lot around the Donna Milam Farmers Market Pavilion. The People’s Choice Award is at 12:30. Tomorrow evening, bull riding starts at 7. The fair continues through August 10th. See a complete listing of events at thehenrycountyfair.com.