Most Active Stories
- While Dangerous Predicted Winter Weather Won't Contend With '09 Ice Storm
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- 3 Educators Selected For KY Teacher Hall of Fame
- EKU Plans Response To White Supremacist Flyer Posted In Classroom Buildings
Fri August 16, 2013
Datebook: August 16 - First Message Sent Across Transatlantic Telegraph Cable 155 Years Ago
On this day in 1858, President Buchanan inaugurated the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. The first message was "Europe and America are united by telegraphy. Glory to God in the highest; on earth, peace and good will toward men." Celebrations ensued.
It’s Friday, August 16
Over 30 aircraft are featured in this weekend’s Wings Over Halls Air Show, to be held at the Dyersburg Army Air Base at Halls, Tennessee. The event also features vendors, aircraft rides, reenactors, museum tours, and more. Gates open at 10 and close at 5 tomorrow and Sunday, with the main air exhibition occurring at 1:30 both days. Find details at dyaab.us.
Maiden Alley Cinema presents the film “Fruitvale Station” tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday. The film tells the story of Oscar Grant, who was fatally shot in Oakland, California, on New Year’s Day 2009. For showtimes and more information, visit maidenalleycinema.org.
Angels Attic Thrift Shop seeks donations of clothing, furniture, appliances, household items, and toys. Sale proceeds benefit the Angels Community Clinic, which provides healthcare to the working uninsured in Calloway County. Bring donations to 972 Chestnut Street Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5.
See more community events at wkms.org. Thanks for listening.