Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Tue August 13, 2013
Datebook: August 13 - A Circus Acrobat Becomes King of Albania 100 Years Ago
Otto Witte was an acrobat whose tombstone reads "former King of Albania." The story goes that he looked just like the crown prince and got away with it... for five days. During this time, he enjoyed the harem, made off with much of the treasury, and declared war on Montenegro. He escaped before getting caught.
It’s Tuesday, August 13
The Humane Society of Calloway County holds an Adoption and Pet ID Day at Tractor Supply in Murray this Saturday from 10 to 2. Foster dogs are on site, and information about adoptable cats is available. Custom ID tags are made on-site for $3, and microchipping is $10. Please bring dogs on leashes or cats in carriers. More at forthepets.org.
The McCracken County Public Library presents “Kentucky's Trail of Tears” Thursday night at 7 in the second floor meeting room as part of its Evenings Upstairs series. The president of the Kentucky Trail of Tears Association leads the discussion, which is free and open to the public. Find details at mclib.net.
The Western Kentucky Teen Challenge Charity Golf Tournament is Friday morning at the Madisonville Community Golf Course. Play begins at 7:30. The cost is $75 per player, or $300 per team. For more information, call 270-639-7366.