Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Skies Clear for Sunny Saturday, Be Careful on Roads
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Mon August 12, 2013
Datebook: August 12 - The Quagga Goes Extinct 130 Years Ago
It's pronounced "kwa-ha-ha" and the last one of these died in Amsterdam on this day in 1883. This subspecies of zebra from southern Africa was hunted heavily. Only a few quagga were photographed alive and only 23 skins are preserved today. The controversial Quagga Project is trying to "breed them back."
It's Monday, August 12
The Fibromyalgia Support Group meets tonight at 6:30 at the Murray-Calloway County Hospital Center for Health and Wellness. Molly Rogers, licensed massage therapist, leads the class. For more information, call 270-762-1348.
Thursday's the deadline for craft and visual artists to apply for the Kentucky Crafted Program, a state-supported marketing program for professional artists. Artists accepted into the program can use the Kentucky Crafted logo, have their work included in exhibits, be part of an online artist directory, and more. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 502-564-3757, ext. 473.
The WATCH Center at 702 Main Street in Murray needs aluminum cans for an ongoing fundraising project. Drop off cans anytime, seven days a week, by driving through the driveway on the west side of the center and placing them in the cotton wagon.