Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
Thu April 4, 2013
Datebook: April 4 - Martin Luther King Jr. Assassinated 45 Years Ago
Appropriately dreary today, we remember civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. He was shot and killed on this day in 1968 by James Earl Ray at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis. His assassination led to a wave of race riots. Just days after his assassination, Congress passed the Civil Rights Act of 1968.
It’s Thursday, April 4
The Nature Station at Land Between the Lakes offers a “Signs of the Spring Season” Hike Saturday afternoon at 1:30. Take a guided hike in search of bird calls, budding trees, and early blooming flowers. The program is free with admission to the Nature Station.
Kids ages 17 and under are invited to participate in Jakes Day on Saturday, beginning at 10AM at H&R Agri-Power in Mayfield. The day includes a turkey-calling contest and a turkey contest, with cash prizes awarded. To learn more or to pre-register, call (270) 705-1885.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency invites youth leaders dedicated to public service to apply for FEMA’s Youth Preparedness Council. Participants between the ages of 12 and 17 represent the youth perspective and share information with their communities. Find more information at ready.gov; click on Get Involved, then Citizen Corps. The application deadline is April 19.
Find more community events at wkms.org.