Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Outgoing CCHS Football Coach Overspent Around $30,000
- House Speaker Stumbo Files Bill to Prohibit Brewery-Owned Distributorships
- Paducah Riverfront Hotel Undergoes Design Changes, Delays Possible
- Local Distillery to Produce George Jones-Brand Moonshine
- Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Officials Say No Regulation for Asian Carp Harvests
Tue April 23, 2013
Datebook: April 23 - Stephen Douglas Turns 200
He's probably best remembered as the man who lost to Abraham Lincoln. Democratic Illinois Senator, Representative, and presidential candidate Stephen A. Douglas famously defeated Lincoln in a debate in 1858. This actually helped Lincoln define republicanism, whereas democrats had a "house divided," which shaped the 1860 presidential election.
It’s Tuesday, April 23
The Pennyrile Area Development District presents “Caregiving: Keeping the Balance” tomorrow night at 6:30 at St. John United Methodist Church in Hopkinsville. The class focuses on the challenges of caring for the elderly or disabled, the resources available, and specific caregiving tips. Pre-register by calling 886-1049.
The Graves County Schools' Transportation Department sponsors a Relay for Life Barbecue Lunch Fundraiser Friday. The meal costs $6 and includes a barbecued pork sandwich, slaw, baked beans, chips, and a homemade dessert. Place orders by tomorrow at 674-4804.
Angels Attic Thrift Shop needs donations of clothing, furniture, appliances, household items, and toys. Proceeds support the Angels Community Clinic, which helps Calloway County residents without medical insurance. Bring items to 972 Chestnut Street Monday through Saturday from 8 to 5, or call 762-0505 for pickup.