Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
- Commentary: Preventing Gun Violence with "Magical Thinking"
Wed December 12, 2012
Datebook: 12/12/12 - Marconi Gets First Transatlantic Transmission 111 Years Ago
On a blustery December day in 1901, Guglielmo Marconi climbed up Signal Hill overlooking St. John's in Newfoundland and received the first transatlantic radio signal, sent from his Wireless Station in Cornwall, UK. He famously said "See if you can hear anything, Mr. Kemp." Then the clicks came in Morse code: thanksamwell
It’s Wednesday, December 12
The Calloway County Public Library offers a free computer class titled “Holiday Crafts Using the Computer.” The class meets Thursday morning from 9 to 11. For details and registration, call the library at 753-2288.
Playhouse in the Park presents the final weekend of “A Christmas Carol.” The original stage adaptation of Dickens’ classic novel tells the story of Scrooge, a lonely miser who finds a second chance to become a loving, generous human being. Shows are Friday and Saturday nights at 7 and Sunday afternoon at 2:30. Purchase tickets by calling 759-1752.
The North Drive Middle School Band presents their Holiday Band Concert tomorrow night at the Christian County Schools Performing Arts Center. The concert starts at 6 o’clock. Admission is free. The center is located at 215 Glass Avenue in Hopkinsville.
See more community events at wkms.org, where you can also see a complete schedule of our holiday programming. Thanks for listening.