Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Fri February 7, 2014
CSX Announces Construction of Rail Inspection Yard in Christian County
Local officials are welcoming the announcement of construction of a CSX rail yard just south of Hopkinsville.
Thursday, the Florida-based rail company confirmed plans to build a rail inspection and repair yard within the Casky community in Christian County.
County Judge Executive Steve Tribble says talks on the build had been under discussion for about a year and that he’s excited for the jobs the yard will bring.
“As they build this thing, there’ll be hundreds of jobs doing the construction to get it up and running," said Tribble. "But then after it’s finished they’ll have about fifty local jobs — with the potential to add some more— inspecting, refueling and possibly doing a bit of maintenance work on the train cars.”
The facility will serve as infrastructure support for the growing CSX freight rail corridor spanning from Evansville, Indiana to Chattanooga, Tennessee.
CSX currently employs more than 2,400 Kentuckians and invested more than $98 million in its Kentucky network last year.
Tribble says CSX already has a crew at the site planning for the build and that the rail yard is expected to be completed by 2015.