Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue March 16, 2010
Council Discusses Closing Budget
By Angela Hatton
Murray, KY – The Murray City Council continues to discuss methods of closing a 1.1 million dollar shortfall. A payroll tax has been the main revenue option, but some council members are hesitant to impose the tax, saying it would overburden low-income residents. Another proposal would focus on cutting operating costs by twenty percent. The Murray Ledger and Times reports the city has staunched the deficit so far by borrowing from its reserve fund.