Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Murray Holds Special Ties for Likely Next Host of 'A Prairie Home Companion'
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Polls: Republicans Lead All of Kentucky's Statewide Races; Paul Tops GOP Presidential Hopefuls
- Convoy Tours Controversial Areas at Land Between the Lakes
Thu October 3, 2013
Corps of Engineers Nashville Dist. to close campgrounds
The federal government shutdown has prompted the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District to close all of its campgrounds and day-use parks at noon Friday. The district had announced that it intended to keep these areas open as scheduled, but they say support to the recreation areas can’t be sustained.
Visitors already on-site must also leave by noon tomorrow, and can receive a partial refund for any unused portion of their reservations. Nashville District commander Lieutenant Colonel John Hudson says his agency regrets the closure, and will re-open them to the public as quickly as possible.