Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Thu December 6, 2012
Corps Agrees to Hold Public Meetings on Cumberland River Restrictions
Tennessee Senator Lamar Alexander says the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has agreed to public meetings to discuss new restrictions on fishing below Cumberland River dams. Alexander is the senior Republican on the Senate Appropriations Committee's Subcommittee on Energy and Water, which has jurisdiction over the Corps.
Major dams potentially affected include Lake Barkley in Kentucky, although the proposed tailwater fishing restrictions would apply to the entire river and its tributaries. Alexander says new restrictions should apply to the smallest area possible, consistent with safety requirements.