Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon April 9, 2012
Coroner: 2 Women Dead after Car Submerges in Lake
Jackson County, Illinois officials say two women are dead after their car submerged in a lake near Carbondale. The coroner’s office says the accident happened just after 3 a.m. Saturday. Carbondale police were notified a vehicle had driven off a boat launch area at Cedar Lake. Police say five people were in the car and three managed to escape. The deceased were identified as college students, 20-year-old Marielle Carson of Chicago and 21-year-old Latisha Ray of Carbondale. Both were pronounced dead at the scene. The coroner says a preliminary examination shows both women died as a result of drowning. Toxicology tests are pending.