Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Mon April 9, 2012
Coroner: 2 Women Dead after Car Submerges in Lake
Jackson County, Illinois officials say two women are dead after their car submerged in a lake near Carbondale. The coroner’s office says the accident happened just after 3 a.m. Saturday. Carbondale police were notified a vehicle had driven off a boat launch area at Cedar Lake. Police say five people were in the car and three managed to escape. The deceased were identified as college students, 20-year-old Marielle Carson of Chicago and 21-year-old Latisha Ray of Carbondale. Both were pronounced dead at the scene. The coroner says a preliminary examination shows both women died as a result of drowning. Toxicology tests are pending.