Most Active Stories
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Film Tax Incentive Program Draws Production Company to Murray
- Against Residents’ Wishes 250-Year-Old Burr Oak Tree Cut Down On Lake Barkley Bridge Easement
- GOP Gubernatorial Candidates Attack Jack Conway For Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban
- Congressman Whitfield Calls House Ethics Allegations "Absurd"
Mon April 9, 2012
Coroner: 2 Women Dead after Car Submerges in Lake
Jackson County, Illinois officials say two women are dead after their car submerged in a lake near Carbondale. The coroner’s office says the accident happened just after 3 a.m. Saturday. Carbondale police were notified a vehicle had driven off a boat launch area at Cedar Lake. Police say five people were in the car and three managed to escape. The deceased were identified as college students, 20-year-old Marielle Carson of Chicago and 21-year-old Latisha Ray of Carbondale. Both were pronounced dead at the scene. The coroner says a preliminary examination shows both women died as a result of drowning. Toxicology tests are pending.