Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed September 5, 2012
Corn harvest continues to speed ahead of schedule
The U.S. corn harvest continues ahead of schedule with some states nearly half-finished at a time when they usually are just getting started. In its weekly crop update, the USDA says little has changed in the condition of drought-damaged corn and soybeans. That's because the plants are too far along for recent rain to make a difference. Corn was planted several weeks earlier this year and matured more quickly in the summer heat, allowing farmers to start harvesting early. Tennessee has almost half of its corn in, compared to the usual 21 percent. Missouri is at 44 percent, ahead of the average 8 percent.