Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon September 28, 2009
Conway files claim against drug maker Merck
By Paco Long-Mendez
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky is joining hundreds of other individuals and organizations who have filed suit against drug maker Merck. State Attorney General Jack Conway yesterday filed a claim in Franklin Circuit Court against the pharmaceutical giant. Merck allegedly violated Kentucky's Consumer Protection Act in regards to the marketing of anti-inflammatory drug Vioxx. Early studies showed a potential for dangerous side effects including heart attack and stroke. In 2004, Merck admitted that Vioxx caused serious side effects and pulled the product from the market.