Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- Bad Luck: Murray Business Loses Office After Collapse, Then Fire Threatens New Office
Tue November 10, 2009
Controlled Burns at Land Between the Lakes
By Chris Taylor
Golden Pond, KY – Workers are conducting controlled burns at Land Between the Lakes this week, weather permitting. Burns near the Nature Station and Neville Creek are scheduled today. Service crews burned some 1,500 acres yesterday near the South Bison Range in what is the largest in a series of scheduled burns this week.
LBL Spokesperson Kathryn Harper says prescribed burning is part of its wildlife habitat management and is usually done in the fall to get rid of leaf litter. The Clarksville Leaf Chronicle reports the burn areas are mostly inaccessible to the public.