Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Tue November 10, 2009
Controlled Burns at Land Between the Lakes
By Chris Taylor
Golden Pond, KY – Workers are conducting controlled burns at Land Between the Lakes this week, weather permitting. Burns near the Nature Station and Neville Creek are scheduled today. Service crews burned some 1,500 acres yesterday near the South Bison Range in what is the largest in a series of scheduled burns this week.
LBL Spokesperson Kathryn Harper says prescribed burning is part of its wildlife habitat management and is usually done in the fall to get rid of leaf litter. The Clarksville Leaf Chronicle reports the burn areas are mostly inaccessible to the public.