Most Active Stories
- School and University Closings: Wednesday, Feb 18 (Murray State University Closed)
- School and University Closings: Thursday, Feb 19 (Murray State University Closed)
- Murray State Prepares Backup Generators for Possible TVA Shutoff
- School Closings and Delays: Tuesday, Feb 24
- School and University Closings: Friday, Feb 20 (Murray State University Closed)
Thu October 25, 2012
Contractors to Remove and Sell or Recycle Bridge Debris
Contractors are removing debris from the Eggners Ferry Bridge crash site. Accident debris has remained at the bottom of Kentucky Lake since January, when the cargo ship Delta Mariner rammed the bridge, knocking out one section. Delta Mariner owner Foss Maritime has hired contractors to pull pieces of steel and concrete from the lake bed and transport it to Bailey Port, Inc., in Calvert City.
Foss Maritime spokesperson Suzanne Lagoni says the steel will go on the scrap market, and the concrete will be recycled. Work began today and it’s expected to take 30 days to complete. The U. S. Coastguard says debris removal won’t affect river traffic.
Eggners Ferry Bridge