Most Active Stories
- Mid-Continent Chairman Confirms Layoffs, School Will Operate Through June 30
- Murray High School Assistant Charged with Rape
- Mid-Continent University Appoints Tom Walden as New Acting President
- Former Kentucky Lawmaker John Arnold Cleared of Ethics Charges
- Mid-Continent University "Doing Everything They Can To Stay Open"
Government & Politics
Fri February 10, 2012
Commonwealth Group Seeking Casino Gambling
A coalition of groups has formed to press Kentucky lawmakers to approve a constitutional amendment that could legalize casinos in the Commonwealth. The coalition includes several longtime gambling proponents from business and labor. But it also involves the Kentucky Education Action Team, which represents the Kentucky Parent Teacher Association, Kentucky School Boards of Association and the Kentucky Association of School Councils. Coalition members called on lawmakers to approve a gambling amendment during a news conference at the capitol Thursday. Kentucky Education Action Team member Stu Silberman says group members voted to support the proposed gambling amendment because schools need additional revenue.