Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Government & Politics
Fri February 10, 2012
Commonwealth Group Seeking Casino Gambling
A coalition of groups has formed to press Kentucky lawmakers to approve a constitutional amendment that could legalize casinos in the Commonwealth. The coalition includes several longtime gambling proponents from business and labor. But it also involves the Kentucky Education Action Team, which represents the Kentucky Parent Teacher Association, Kentucky School Boards of Association and the Kentucky Association of School Councils. Coalition members called on lawmakers to approve a gambling amendment during a news conference at the capitol Thursday. Kentucky Education Action Team member Stu Silberman says group members voted to support the proposed gambling amendment because schools need additional revenue.