Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Murray State Presidential Search Committee Selects 11 Finalists
Tue September 24, 2013
Committee To Gather Info On Temporary Sales Tax
Kentucky’s Interim Joint Committee on Local Government will hear testimony tomorrow on a proposal to allow local governments to implement temporary sales taxes to fund specific projects. The idea is to allow ballot referendums on whether to temporarily impose a sales tax of up to 1 cent to pay for new parks, sidewalks, roads and buildings. Some 37 states already allow the tax.
Committee Chairman Steve Riggs says too often cities don't have the money for special projects. Legislation calling for a constitutional amendment to allow such a tax was introduced in the General Assembly earlier this year but didn't receive a vote.