Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed January 14, 2009
Collusion suspected regarding convention center bids
By Casey Northcutt
Paducah, KY – Contractors have begun Renovating Paducah's Julian Carroll Convention Center, even though collusion is suspected in the bidding process. The Paducah Sun reports that city manager Jim Zumwalt says he has written Attorney General Jack Conway regarding bids that greatly exceeded estimates. The original bidding ranged from 4.8 million to 5.5 million dollars, 64 percent higher than the engineers' 3.5 million estimate. Zumwalt says he felt obligated to write Conway about any suspected plotting among bidders, but he has not accused anyone specifically. In the meantime, construction firms resubmitted bids, and Ray Black and Son, the lowest bidder, began work on Monday.