Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Wed June 12, 2013
Coalition Proposes Illinois Gas Tax
Illinois transit advocates are proposing a plan to fix the state's deteriorating roads through a new tax that would raise the price at the gas pump.
The Transportation for Illinois Coalition says the $800-million-a-year plan is necessary to fund needed repairs to roads, bridges and rails. The influential group is pushing legislation to replace the current 19-cents-a-gallon motor fuel tax with a 9.5 percent wholesale tax.
It would add about 19 cents to today's price of a gallon of gas.
Coalition co-chairman Doug Whitley said the proposal would also increase vehicle licensing fees.
Bill Fleishli of the Illinois Petroleum Marketers Association counters that the fuel tax would hurt business.