Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon February 22, 2010
Coal Barge wrecks in Ohio River
By Angela Hatton
Wickliffe, KY – Officials have reopened the Cairo Bridge on the Ohio River between Wickliffe and Cairo after a barge transport hit the bridge. A motor vessel towing 27 barges struck a pier on the bridge early this afternoon. US Coast Guard Lieutenant Duane Lemmon says two empty barges sank into the water and two were set adrift. US Coast Guard officers are interviewing the tow crew. Lemmon says they are also administering alcohol tests. An alert has been issued to all boats traveling that way to steer clear of the sunken barges. The bridge was closed to traffic for nearly two hours while an inspector checked for damage.