Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Thu April 9, 2009
City's Plan Eliminates 2 Positions
By Carrie Pond
Paducah, KY – The Paducah city commission is considering a reorganization plan that, if approved, would eliminate the city's only two minority department heads. City Manager Jim Zumwalt presented the plan to the commission Tuesday in a closed session. The Paducah Sun reports Public Works director Earnie Via and Human Resources director Herschel Dugney were notified yesterday about the possible elimination of their positions. Dungey says he has felt increasingly marginalized at his job and believes the plan is racism cloaked in an economic recession. Dungey is black; Via is an American Indian. Mayor Bill Paxton denies Dungey's charges, noting the commission recently hired James Berry who is black as police chief.