Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon August 18, 2014
City Manager Fires Carbondale Police Chief
Carbondale, Ill.'s City Manager has fired police chief Jody O'Guinn.
In a press release issued this morning City Manager Kevin Baity said this morning's dismissal was a “confidential” matter and not related to any pending litigation against the city.
There is a wrongful death suit ongoing against the city and the former police chief regarding the death of a 19-year-old Southern Illinois University student who died of hypothermia earlier this year.
“I want to stress that my decision to dismiss Chief O'Guinn is a confidential matter and has nothing to do with the unsolved cases or recent litigation filed against the City and the Chief," said Baity. "Any assumptions or allegations to this effect are completely unfounded."
Batey says Deputy Chief Jeff Grubbs will serve as Interim Police Chief. However, there is no timetable at this time for finding a permanent successor.
"I have full faith and confidence in Deputy Chief Grubbs' ability to lead the Carbondale Police Department,” said Baity.
O’Guinn has been police chief since 2009.