Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue February 16, 2010
Citizens Rally for Extra Taxes
By Angela Hatton
Springfield, IL – A group of Illinois residents are calling on their lawmakers to raise taxes. Between three and five thousand members of the Responsible Budget Coalition will be in Springfield tomorrow. They plan to push legislators to increase the individual income tax and widen the state's sales tax base. The Southern newspaper reports that move could generate six billion dollars a year. Supporters of the legislation say it's the only way to bring a nearly 13 billion dollar hole in the state budget under control. The bill was approved by the Senate last year, but has not yet been brought to a House floor vote.