Cinema International Fall 2014 Season Preview
Murray State's weekly film series free for campus and community opens tonight with a blockbuster and assistant professor of English Andy Black joins us on Sounds Good for an overview of the season, kicking off with this weekend with The Grand Budapest Hotel and including our partnership: WKMS Sci-Fi Friday feature! (Ack ack ack)
Andy Black says when he came to Murray State University he was excited by Cinema International, "that students would have access to these international films, to be able to see things from other countries and just to expand their film knowledge beyond just what's playing at the multiplexes."
- The Grand Budapest Hotel: an international production directed by Wes Anderson.
- The Great Beauty: a 2013 Italian film directed by Paolo Sorrentino, winner of the Academy Award and Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film
- Le Cercle Rouge, a classic French heist film, which Black says has "the greatest heist scene in any movie ever."
- The Forgotten Space: A Dutch documentary about container ships and the people who chaperone them across the ocean.
- The World's End: an action comedy playing during Halloween weekend, directed by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg (of Shaun of the Dead fame)
WKMS Special Feature: Sci-Fi Friday!: MARS ATTACKS: September 12 at 7:30 p.m.
You can learn about the wonders of science and space weekly on 91.3 WKMS with Science Friday (1 to 3 p.m.). But this Friday you can also enjoy a one-night only showing of this 90’s science fiction camp classic (and maybe some science experiments to boot!) An homage to 1950s cheesy B-Movie science fiction films, Mars Attacks is a cult comedy with an all-star cast. Tim Burton directs. Natalie Portman, Jack Black, Danny Devito and many more show up for cameos. Of course, the real stars may just be the aliens, obliterating the US Congress and others in their paths as President Jack Nicholson, First Lady Glenn Close, and Science Advisor Pierce Brosnan try to understand their Ack-Ack-Acks. It’s quirky, creepy and a whole lot of sci-fi fun.
Download the Poster (PDF)