Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed June 5, 2013
Christian County Board of Education Votes to Keep Lacy Elementary Open
Lacy Elementary in Hopkinsville will remain open for now.
The Christian County Board of Education voted 3-2 at a meeting Tuesday night in favor of keeping the school open. Lacy's closure would have been the first phase of a redistricting plan that would see four different Christian County elementary schools closed and bundled together.
The plan, based on data provided by Davis Demographics, would close Lacy, Belmont, Holiday and Indian Lake elementary schools. North Drive Middle School would be converted to an elementary, and the capacity of Pembroke Elementary would be increased. A new elementary school would then be built to bundle together the students from three of the closed schools.
The plan would also move all Christian County sixth-graders to elementary schools.
Communications Director Heather Aubin says the school bundling would save the district money in a variety of ways, including utilities expenses and student transportation.
The board will next meet Thursday, June 20, where further discussion of redistricting could take place.