Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue July 10, 2012
Child Abuse Records Ordered Released
The Kentucky Court of Appeals has denied a request from the Cabinet for Health and Family Services that would prevent the release of certain child abuse records.
Circuit Court Judge Phillip Shepherd ordered the Cabinet to release nearly 180 case documents earlier this year. The Cabinet released some documents but redacted information that could be useful in determining whether the agency is operating appropriately.
Three newspapers are seeking more documents, but their attorney Jon Fleischaker says the Cabinet continues to appeal the court’s decisions in the papers' favor.
“And when I talk about the appeal I’m talking about not just the appeal to the court of appeals, but any subsequent appeal to the state Supreme Court. And so with the timing you’re looking at in my judgment is anywhere from another two to four years," Fleischaker said.
Cabinet officials could decide to request the State Supreme Court here the case. Officials say they're currently reviewing the order.