Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Mon April 27, 2009
Child Abuse Convictions
By Carrie Pond
Murray, KY – A Murray man and woman have been convicted for their roles in the severe physical abuse of a 4-year-old child in their care. Carol Elizabeth Erwin and Derek Chandler pled guilty today in Calloway Circuit Court. Erwin pled guilty to numerous charges, including assault and criminal abuse. She admitted to inflicting a variety of injuries to the child during a year-long period, including broken ribs, head injuries and a leg burn. Prosecutors are recommending Erwin serve a ten-year sentence. She would be classified as a violent offender and must serve 85 percent of her sentence before becoming eligible for release. Chandler has agreed to serve four years in prison without parole for failing to protect the child and intervene in the abuse. Final sentencing is scheduled for the end of May.