Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue August 18, 2009
Cherokee State Park Objectives Outlined
By Chris Taylor
Aurora, KY – The group Friends of Cherokee State Park' is setting the overall objectives for renovating the site on the banks of Kentucky Lake in Marshall County. The group wants to educate the public on the significance and importance of the park, using its segregated history to bridge cultural and ethnic divisions. Cherokee was once-known as the first park in the South built for African Americans. According to the Murray Ledger, the group also wants to make nature activities available, such as bird watching, hiking and fishing. The state recently allocated some $600,000 in funds to restore and renovate the park.