Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue December 2, 2008
Chamber of Commerce Reveals Document
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Chamber of Commerce officials say improving the education of Kentuckians remains key in moving the state forward economically. It's just one item included in the Chamber's "Bold Steps to Advance Kentucky" document. Chamber President David Adkisson says his organization is promoting the "guaranteed affordability program," or GAP, which would streamline the state's financial aid programs.
"The student bearing part of the responsibility of course for a college education, the family bearing part of the responsibility, the college or university bearing some responsibility and then the state coming in with its resources to make a last dollar, what is called a last dollar pledge to make the college experience affordable." Adkisson says the state Chamber also favors pension reform measures and changes to health care delivery. State lawmakers should receive copies of the Chamber's document before the 2009 General Assembly session.