Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
- Evidence On Marijuana's Health Effects Is Hazy At Best
Fri November 5, 2010
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – The certified vote count shows Democratic Congressman Ben Chandler garnering 119,812 votes on Election Day. Republican challenger Andy Barr collected 119,163.
So, out of more than 239,000 votes cast in the 16-county central Kentucky district, the candidates are separated by 649 votes.
Chandler declared victory Tuesday night, but Barr has refused to concede. Barr wants a recanvass, or recheck of the vote totals, and that will commence next Friday.
During the recanvass, which is free, county clerks will verify vote totals on every voting machine used in the district.
Next Friday is also the deadline for Barr to request a recount, which is a lengthy and expensive process that would have to be funded by the Barr campaign.