Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Thu January 30, 2014
Cave-In-Rock Ferry Closed Due To Ice
The Cave-In-Rock Ferry between Kentucky and Illinois is expected to be closed for several days because of floating ice on the Ohio River.
Ferry operator Lonnie Lewis says the river is about 75-80% covered between the banks by a large mass of floating ice.
The ice is moving, but the chunks are getting large enough to present a hazard. Lewis says it will take several days before the ferry can resume operations.
The Cave-In-Rock Ferry connects Kentucky 91 with Illinois Route 1 between Crittenden County, and Hardin County, Ill.