Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Thu April 30, 2009
Casey Jones: The Man Behind the Legend
By Jacque Day
Western Kentucky – Casey Jones perished at the throttle of a locomotive on Apr. 30, 1900, gaining his greatest fame for his violent death. Now, his name evokes images of grandiose risk-taking, and to do a "Casey Jones" means to take a bad spill. Many consider him an American folk character, but Casey Jones did exist. He grew up in Cayce, a small town in Fulton County that inspired his nickname. Jacque Day goes back in time for a ride along in the life of this railroad legend.