Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Thu October 14, 2010
Candidates Debate in Kentucky's 2nd District
By Angela Hatton
Paducah, KY – Democrat Rex Smith argues he can do better for Kentucky's 2nd District. At a debate at the Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce breakfast, Smith and incumbent Senator Bob Leeper sparred over leadership and government practices. Smith, a Paducah businessman, says Kentucky needs new management.
"We rank at or near the bottom in so many major categories that we're now ranked the worst managed of all the states in the United States."
Leeper says he's not responsible for managing the entire state, but says he's done the best he can for the counties in his district.
"Quite frankly I think if more people ran this state the way I voted and the way I've driven myself to represent those people, I think we'd be in better shape."
Leeper also faces Republican Mike East in November's election. East did not participate in the debate.