Most Active Stories
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- New Details Coming for Downtown Paducah Hotel
- Kentucky Transportation Official Says No US 68/KY 80 Speed Limit Increase Until Project Complete
Thu October 14, 2010
Candidates Debate in Kentucky's 2nd District
By Angela Hatton
Paducah, KY – Democrat Rex Smith argues he can do better for Kentucky's 2nd District. At a debate at the Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce breakfast, Smith and incumbent Senator Bob Leeper sparred over leadership and government practices. Smith, a Paducah businessman, says Kentucky needs new management.
"We rank at or near the bottom in so many major categories that we're now ranked the worst managed of all the states in the United States."
Leeper says he's not responsible for managing the entire state, but says he's done the best he can for the counties in his district.
"Quite frankly I think if more people ran this state the way I voted and the way I've driven myself to represent those people, I think we'd be in better shape."
Leeper also faces Republican Mike East in November's election. East did not participate in the debate.