Most Active Stories
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Tuesday, March 4
Fri October 18, 2013
Calloway County Sheriff Announces Bid For Third Term
Calloway County Sheriff Bill Marcum announced Thursday that he plans to run for a third term. He said the idea of not running again has never crossed his mind.
Marcum has served as sheriff since 2007 but has been in Murray since 1973 when he helped set up the Murray-Calloway County Ambulance Service and was a deputy under Max Morris.
Marcum said he’s proud of improving the office’s functionality, facilities and relations with other law enforcement departments.
“With being the sheriff now, it’s a lot different than it was back several years ago, we do more than just lock people up," said Marcum. "And, like I say, our working relationship with the city and the university and the state police, that’s continuing on the best it can."
Marcum said he plans on enhancing the county communication centers for first responders, expanding school safety resources and continuing to improve the county tax collection system in his third term. Marcum will run again as a Democrat in the May 2014 primary.