Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Fri May 8, 2009
Bunning Retirement Rumors
By Angela Hatton/Lisa Autry
Louisville, KY – One political analyst doesn't expect any breaking news when the state's top Republicans gather in Louisville this weekend for their annual Lincoln Dinner. There's been media buzz that Senator Jim Bunning may announce his retirement at the event. One Capital Hill publication expects Bunning to introduce Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson as the GOP candidate in the 2010 U-S Senate Race. Al Cross heads the institute for rural journalism at UK. He says those looking for news Saturday night will likely be disappointed.
"Be a dramatic way to get out, give a boost to Grayson's candidacy, but I also think it would be seen as surrendering too soon to McConnell and the others who want him out."
Senator Bunning is off to a slow fundraising start, and so far, has not been able to secure an endorsement from Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.