Most Active Stories
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Fri May 8, 2009
Bunning Retirement Rumors
By Angela Hatton/Lisa Autry
Louisville, KY – One political analyst doesn't expect any breaking news when the state's top Republicans gather in Louisville this weekend for their annual Lincoln Dinner. There's been media buzz that Senator Jim Bunning may announce his retirement at the event. One Capital Hill publication expects Bunning to introduce Kentucky Secretary of State Trey Grayson as the GOP candidate in the 2010 U-S Senate Race. Al Cross heads the institute for rural journalism at UK. He says those looking for news Saturday night will likely be disappointed.
"Be a dramatic way to get out, give a boost to Grayson's candidacy, but I also think it would be seen as surrendering too soon to McConnell and the others who want him out."
Senator Bunning is off to a slow fundraising start, and so far, has not been able to secure an endorsement from Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.