Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Mon December 28, 2009
Budget Preview with Governor Beshear
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – The 2010 session of the Kentucky General Assembly gets underway January 5th. During the 60-day session, Governor Steve Beshear will be looking for new revenue sources to shore up sagging state tax collections. Will he make another run at casino gambling at horse tracks?
"We're looking at every option that we can think of. This is gonna be the most serious budget deficit that I've certainly ever seen and I think that the commonwealth has seen in many a year. It's gonna take the House and the Senate, both sides of the aisle and the governor's office working together to try to figure out how to balance this budget."
Not only is the governor looking at a nearly one billion dollar deficit in the next biennium, there's a 100-million dollar hole in the current budget that must be filled before June 30th.