Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue January 17, 2012
Budget Address Preview
Murray, KY – Governor Steve Beshear is likely to propose budget cuts of seven to nine percent for most state agencies when he lays out his next two-year spending plan tonight to a joint session of the Kentucky legislature. The governor told those agencies last month they'll need to reduce expenses by two percent to balance the budget this fiscal year. And he's made it apparent that the new budget will involve serious cuts. Beshear says the numbers are so wretched that the state will likely be forced to carve into some of the most critical basic services. Still, the governor says, Kentucky can't cut its way to prosperity, but the state needs to take some action to improve its revenue picture in the future. You can find a link to Kentucky Educational Television's 6 o'clock broadcast of budget address at WKMS.org.