Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Mon December 9, 2013
Broncos' Prater Kicks Record 64-Yard Field Goal
Originally published on Mon December 9, 2013 7:18 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep.
Anybody who grew up watching football has seen video of Tom Dempsey's historic field goal. In 1970, the New Orleans Saint kicked a field goal from a record 63 yards to win a game. He did it though he was born with no toes on his right foot. The record stood for decades, sometimes equaled never exceeded, until Sunday. Denver's Matt Prater kicked one from 64 yards, though it was not decisive since his team won by 23 points.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.